ModernKids & Teens Classes
Is your child a pioneer of new ideas, an explorer extraordinaire, or a tad on the rebellious side? Modern dance is the “wild child” of the formalized dance techniques. Modern dance promotes open-mindedness and supports self-expression. It is highly permissive and very creative. In Modern class, students will become best friends with the floor, improvise, and discover their limitless movement potential, all while developing technical skills. Classes follow an updated syllabus of studies along with open work, designed to allow for flexibility and creativity in instruction. Because of the demands at higher levels, Intermediate and Senior level students must also take Ballet.
- Primary: ages 7-8 beginners; age 6 if moving up from PrePrimary Modern. Monday 3:45-4:30 pm.
- Junior 1: ages 9-10 beginners; ages 7-8 if moving up from Primary Modern. Either Wednesday 4:30-5:30 pm or Saturday 10:15-11:15 am.
- Junior 2: ages 11-12 beginners; ages 9-11 moving up from Junior 1 Modern. Either Wednesday 5:30-6:30 pm or Saturday 11:15-12:15 pm.
- PreIntermediate: ages 11+ moving up from Junior 2 Modern. Twice weekly class; Monday & Wednesday 6:30-7:30 pm. Students at this level are not required to take additional classes, but DSS &/or Ballet are recommended.
- Intermediate 1: age 13+, subject to teacher recommendation. Twice weekly class; Monday & Wednesday 4:30-5:30 pm. Students at this level are required to take at least one Ballet class as well. Dancers’ Stretch & Strength (DSS) is also recommended.
- Intermediate 2/Senior: age 14+, subject to teacher recommendation. Twice weekly class; Monday & Wednesday 5:30-6:30 pm. Students at this level must be dancing in a minimum of 2 additional classes weekly, at least one of which must be Ballet. Additional class options are Dancers’ Stretch & Strength (DSS) or Jazz.
- Teen: age 13+ with little or no Modern training. Saturday 2:15-3:15 pm.
Registration for 2019/20 opens to current families May 21 and to the public on June 10. Current students will need the code from their progress reports or May 17th email to access registration.