ModernKids & Teens Classes
Is your child a pioneer of new ideas? An explorer extraordinaire? A tad on the rebellious side? Modern dance is the “wild child” of the formalized dance techniques. It rejects all the strict and defined rules of the ballet world. Modern dance promotes open-mindedness and supports self-expression. It is highly permissive and hugely creative. In Modern class, students will learn to use the floor, improvise, surpass barriers and discover their limitless movement potential, all while developing technical skills. Classes follow an updated syllabus of studies along with open work, designed to allow for flexibility and creativity in instruction. Because of the demands at higher levels, Intermediate 2 and Senior level students must also take Ballet.
- Primary: ages 7-8 beginners; age 6 if moving up from PrePrimary Modern. Wednesday 3:45-4:30.
- Junior 1: ages 9-10 beginners; ages 7-8 if moving up from Primary Modern. Either Friday 2:30-3:30 or Saturday 11:15-12:15.
- Junior 2: ages 11-12 beginners; ages 9-11 moving up from Junior 1 Modern. Either Monday 6:30-7:30 or Saturday 10:15-11:15.
- PreIntermediate: ages 11+ moving up from Junior 2 Modern. Twice weekly class, each student chooses 1 “A” class and 1 “B” class. Preintermediate A: Either Monday 5:30-6:30 or Wednesday 5:30-6:30. Preintermediate B: Either Friday 3:30-4:30 or Saturday 12:30-1:30. Students at this level are not required to take additional classes, but DSS &/or Ballet are recommended.
- Intermediate 1: age 13+, subject to teacher recommendation. Twice weekly class: Monday & Wednesday 4:30-5:30. Students at this level are required to take at least one additional class, either Ballet or DSS.
- Intermediate 2: age 14+, subject to teacher recommendation. Twice weekly class: Monday 6:30-7:30 & Wednesday 7:30-8:30. Students at this level must be dancing in a minimum of 2 additional classes weekly, at least one of which must be Ballet. Additional class options are DSS or Jazz.
- Senior: age 14+, subject to teacher recommendation. Twice weekly class: Wednesday 6:30-7:30 & Saturday 2:30-3:30. Students at this level must be dancing in a minimum of 3 additional classes weekly, at least one of which must be Ballet. Additional class options are DSS or Jazz.
- Teen: age 13+ for dancers new to modern. Tuesday 7:30-8:30.