BalletKids & Teens Classes
Whether your child gracefully twirls around the room and says the word “tutu” 20 times a day or talks non-stop about what they have to do to get that “killer hard split jump” in their jazz class, Ballet provides a strong and dependable dance foundation. Learn to stand with confidence, move with precision and develop accurate posture and alignment gaining poise, grace, confidence and strength. Ballet also teaches commitment, determination and body awareness. Studies include syllabus and free work that reflect the needs and progress of each class level. Because of the physical demands and expectations at higher levels, PreIntermediate, Intermediate 1, Intermediate 2, and Senior classes attend twice weekly. Additional classes are recommended and sometimes required to strengthen and build technique. See each individual level for details.
- PrePrimary: age 6 beginners; age 5 with 1-2 full years of structured dance experience. Either Wednesday 3:45-4:30 pm or Saturday 9:30-10:15 am.
- Primary: ages 7-8 beginners; ages 6-7 if moving up from PrePrimary Ballet. Either Tuesday 3:30-4:15 pm or Saturday 11:30-12:15 pm.
- Junior 1: age 9 beginners; ages 7-9 moving up from Primary Ballet. Either Monday 6:30-7:30 pm or Saturday 12:15-1:15 pm.
- Junior 2: ages 9-11 moving up from Junior 1 Ballet. Either Tuesday 5:30-6:30 pm or Saturday 1:15-2:15 pm.
- PreIntermediate: ages 11+ moving up from Junior 2 Ballet. Twice weekly class; Tuesday & Thursday 6:30-7:30 pm. Students at this level are not required to take additional class, but DSS and/or Prepointe are recommended.
- Intermediate 1: age 13+, subject to teacher recommendation. Twice weekly class; Monday & Wednesday 5:30-6:30 pm. One additional technical class is required for a minimum of 3 classes weekly. Options include: a) Dancers’ Stretch & Strength (DSS) or b) PrePointe.
- Intermediate 2: age 14+, subject to teacher recommendation. Twice weekly class; Monday & Wednesday 4:30-5:30 pm. Two additional technical classes are required, for a minimum of 4 classes weekly, and can include Open Ballet, DSS, Pointe, Modern, Jazz. Students who only take Intermediate 2 Ballet are required to take Open Ballet on Friday 3:00-4:15 pm plus 1 or both of the following: a) Inter 2/Senior Dancers’ Stretch & Strength (DSS), or b) Pointe.
- Senior: age 15+, subject to teacher recommendation. Twice weekly class; Tuesday & Thursday 4:15-5:30 pm. Two additional technical classes are required, for a minimum of 4 classes weekly, and can include Open Ballet, DSS, Pointe, Modern, Jazz. Students who only take Senior Ballet are required to take Open Ballet on Friday 3:00-4:15 pm plus 1 or both of the following: a) Inter 2/Senior Dancers’ Stretch & Strength (DSS), or b) Pointe.
- PreTeen: For dancers age 10-12 with little or no ballet training. Friday 5:30-6:30 pm.
- Teen 1: For dancers age 13+ with little or no ballet training. Friday 4:30-5:30 pm.
- Teen 2: For dancers age 14+, moving up from Teen 1 Ballet. Wednesday 7:30-8:30 pm. Students at this level are not required to take additional support classes, but Int 1 Dancers’ Stretch & Strength (DSS) and/or Prepointe are recommended.
SUPPORT CLASSES: Designed to enhance our syllabus & only open to students of Free House Dance Plus.
PrePointe: PreIntermediate, Intermediate 1, and Teen 2 levels of ballet can benefit from this class. Students work through basic skills in order to strengthen technique and alignment, specifically towards going up “en pointe”. Physical development, maturity, physiology, good technique, hard work and the teachers evaluation of preparedness factor in to make this exciting decision. Wednesday 6:30-7:15 pm.
Pointe: For Intermediate 2 & Senior level students with teacher recommendation. Includes barre and centre work to strengthen the feet and ankles, learn placement, and increase flexibility as they develop pointe work skills. (Note: Students must be assessed by a doctor and approved by the teacher before going up “en pointe”.) Thursday 5:30-6:15 pm.
Dancers’ Stretch & Strength (DSS): A supplementary class for Free House Dance students. Two levels are offered, one for Inter 1 students (Tuesday 4:30-5:30 pm) and one for Inter 2/Senior students (Tuesday 5:30-6:30 pm).
Our 2019/20 Season is currently underway. Classes run from September through June. In order to ensure a positive experience for all students, we are no longer accepting new students for this year. Check out our awesome Summer Camps, or join our Mailing List to get notified when next year’s registration opens to the public in June.