BalletKids & Teens Classes
Whether your child gracefully twirls around the room and says the word “tutu” 20 times a day or has tried every activity in the books and is NOW professing a love of Ballet or talks non-stop about what they have to do to get that “killer hard split jump” in their jazz class, Ballet provides a strong and dependable dance foundation. Learn to stand with confidence, move with precision and develop accurate posture and alignment gaining poise, grace, confidence and strength. Ballet also teaches commitment, determination and body awareness. Studies include syllabus and free work that reflect the needs and progress of each class level. Because of the physical demands and expectations at higher levels, PreIntermediate, Intermediate 1, Intermediate 2, Senior and Teen 2 classes attend twice weekly. Additional classes are recommended and sometimes required to strengthen and build technique. See each individual level for details.
*NEW! Ballet Boys: Used by athletes to enhance and supplement their performance in their chosen sport, dance provides clear cross-training benefits for any athletic endeavor. Body awareness, strength, flexibility, balance, coordination are all concepts inherent in ballet class and it helps develop focus with a strong work ethic.
- PrePrimary: age 6 beginners; age 5 with 1-2 full years of structured dance experience. Either Monday 3:45-4:30 or Saturday 9:30-10:15.
- Primary: ages 7-8 beginners; ages 6-7 if moving up from PrePrimary Ballet. Either Wednesday 4:45-5:30 or Friday 2:45-3:30.
- Primary Ballet Boys: ages 6-8 beginners, Boys only. Wednesday 3:45-4:30.
- Junior 1: age 9 beginners; ages 7-9 moving up from Primary Ballet. Either Wednesday 3:45-4:45 or Saturday 1:30-2:30.
- Junior Ballet Boys: age 9-13. Friday 3:30-4:30.
- Junior 2: ages 9-11 moving up from Junior 1 Ballet. Either Thursday 5:30-6:30 or Saturday 9:15-10:15.
- PreIntermediate: ages 11+ moving up from Junior 2 Ballet. Twice weekly class, each student chooses 1 “A” class and 1 “B” class. Preintermediate A: Either Monday 4:30-5:30 or Tuesday 6:30-7:30. Preintermediate B: Either Wednesday 4:30-5:30 or Friday 4:30-5:30. Students at this level are not required to take additional class, but DSS and/or Prepointe are recommended.
- Intermediate 1: age 13+, subject to teacher recommendation. Twice weekly class: Monday & Wednesday 5:30-6:30. One additional technical class is required for a minimum of 3 classes weekly. Options include: a) DSS or b) PrePointe.
- Intermediate 2/Senior: age 14+, subject to teacher recommendation. Twice weekly class: Tuesday & Thursday 4:15-5:30. This is a combined level class. A minimum of two additional technical classes are required for Intermediate 2 students, three additional classes for Senior students. Options include: a) Open Ballet, b) DSS, c) PrePointe, d) Pointe, e) Modern, f) Jazz.
- PreTeen: For dancers age 10-12 with little or no ballet training. Wednesday 6:30-7:30.
- Teen 1: For dancers age 13+ with little or no ballet training. Wednesday 7:30-8:30.
- Ballet Boys: ages 9+ on Friday 3:30-4:30;
- Optional support classes include: DSS, PrePointe, Modern, Jazz.
SUPPORT CLASSES: Designed to enhance our syllabus & only open to students of Free House Dance Plus.
Open Ballet: This is a non-syllabus class designed to support, enhance and challenge the training of Intermediate & Senior level students. Students are excited by the extra push and variety that it provides.
PrePointe: PreIntermediate, Intermediate 1, and Teen 2 levels of ballet can benefit from this class. Students work through basic skills in order to strengthen technique and alignment, specifically towards going up “en pointe”. Physical development, maturity, physiology, good technique, hard work and the teachers evaluation of preparedness factor in to make this exciting decision. Wednesday 6:30-7:15.
Pointe: For Intermediate & Senior level students. Includes barre and centre work to strengthen the feet and ankles, learn placement, and increase flexibility as they develop pointe work skills. (Note: Students must be assessed by a doctor and approved by the teacher before going up “en pointe”.) Thursday 6:30-7:15.
Dancers’ Stretch & Strength: a supplementary class for Intermediate and Senior level students. Tuesday 5:30-6:30 or Friday 3:30-4:30.